How to Play the iPod on Your Computer, and Other iPod nano Tips

Sometimes you want to fill the room with your iPod's music but don't have any speakers. If there's a computer with iTunes handy you can play your iPod on computer speakers -- problem solved! Read on for quick how-to tips and tricks for living with your iPod.

Ready? Play the iPod through Computer Speakers: This sounds more complicated than it is. If you start getting confusued when you read it go to my website (link's at bottom of this article) and look and the pictures I've made. You'll be fine, I promise. In iTunes, select your iPod from left-hand side of the screen. Choose the "Summary" tab in the center of iTunes and click on the "Manually manage music and videos" checkbox. You're ready to go: just choose a song or play list from the left-hand list for your iPod and hit the iTunes play button. Still confused? Remember, I have pictures on my website to help you out.

Who Needs an Alarm Clock Anymore? My old alarm clock lives in the bottom of my dresser drawer now. It's been replaced by my iPod nano and a good set of speakers. My nano's alarm clock does everything I need, and travels with me wherever I go. Here's how to turn your nano into your alarm clock.

On the Extras menu, use the click wheel to select Clock > Alarm Clock. The screen will show a set of options for configuring your alarm. First, toggle Alarm to On if it isn't already. Choose Time and select the time the alarm should go off. Select the Repeat menu to set how often the alarm should ring. I have one alarm set for Weekdays and another for Weekends. Now for the bigger decision: Sound. You can either set the iPod to Beep or to a Playlist. If you use Playlist the sound goes out through earphones or an external speaker -- which is what I use at night. If you're travelling you might consider setting it to Beep, since it'll use the iPod's built-in speaker.

Using the Sleep Timer: If you like to fall asleep to music, there's another section in Extras you'll like: the sleep timer. When I go to bed I plug my iPod into speakers in the bedroom and set the sleep timer for 60 minutes. Now you have music to fall asleep by.

Bump up the Volume: Wish you could rock out a little louder? Check out the Volume Limit option on the Settings menu. Use this option to dial your iPod's maximum volume up or down. You can also adjust the sound style from the EQ (equalizer) menu.

By: Lydia Vaughn

Want to learn more? Lydia has pictures of how to do these tips on her website. Check out Lydia's Nanos Reviewed website for more tricks and hacks for living the iPod nano life. Don't reprint the same version as everyone else. Get your own unique content play ipod on computer article here.